Prior to 1910 there were 3 mining schools in Cornwall, at Camborne, Penzance and Redruth.
The School Of Metallipherous Mining was formed by the amalgamation of all the
mining schools in the county of Cornwall, England, UK in 1910. It was decided
to amalgamate these in 1910 into one school which would occupy the Camborne
Mining School site.
Mr. W. Ficher Wilkinson was appointed as the first principal of the newly
formed School of Metallipherous Mining. He was educated at Harrow and at the
Freiberg University of Mining and Technology, Freiberg, Germany.
In 1975 the school changed its name to Camborne School of Mines to better describe its academic activities.
The Redruth School of Mines and Art opened in 1882/83 and
was located in Clinton Road to the east of the town. With the removel of mining
education to the Camborne the site, this became became the Science and Art School
and continued to teach art and science.
A wing of the Redruth Mining School was a large mineral museum called the Robert
Hunt Memorial Museum erected to the memory of Robert Hunt FRS by The Miners
Association of Devon and Cornwall. keeper of the Mining Record Office, London.
This remained open until 1950 when it closed, the specimens were then taken
to the Camborne School of Mines.
The Camborne Campus of Camborne School of Mines as it became
known was located just off of Camborne High-street in Trevithick Road. George
Basset, the great mine entrepreneur made a bequest in 1876 to build a laboratory
in Camborne, The Basset building, for the use of the pupils of The Miners Association.
1882 The adjacent Camborne Science and Art School building opened.
The Penzance Mining and Science School opened on the 7 Oct.
1890. The school housed the technical instruction hall and the lecture theatre
and upstairs chemical lecture rooms, class rooms and a laboratory filled with
working benches for 24 students, furnace room for metallurgical work and a balance
room. Andrew Ketcham Barnett was the first principal.