1831 The Tamar is navigable for vessels of one hundred and thirty tons up to
New Quay, about twenty-four miles above Plymouth.
Now an abandoned village, New Quay was built as an extension to Morwellham.
The Quays still line the river with their ruined mine buildings. New Quay supplemented
the Devon Great Consols copper ore quay at Morwellham during the 1840s.
There is a book about New Quay – Brown, Cynthia Gaskell. A Lost Devon Village:
New Quay, Devonshire Association Transactions, vol. 114, (1982) pp. 133-168.