The first recorded non-mining industrial activities at Cligga dates from 1893
with the opening of the “British and Colonial Explosives Company factory.
The site was chosen both because it was close to a number of mines and because
the steeply sloping ground made the site favourable for the production of explosives.
British and Colonial was not successful however and was bought out
by Nobels. However this was at the beginning of one of the great
depressions in Cornish Mining and Nobels production stopped in