Mining Service Industries in Cornwall

Westlakes Bealswood Brickworks

From the middle of the 19th century a number of brickworks were operating in the area. Westlakes Brick and Fire Clay had sites at Bealswood and Calstock (recorded in the 1856 Post Office trade directory) and their bricks were used for Government and public buildings, fortifications, and in the local towns. The Phoenix Brickworks on...

Read more ...

Bennets Fuseworks, Camborne, Cornwall

At the time of the mining boom Tuckingmill was a separate settlement, and located in the very centre of the mining area. A whole range of industries can be still be seen there from the earliest times right through to the 1990s. The Red River Valley was a network of mills, tin streaming, tailings works and...

Read more ...

British & Colonial Explosives Factory, Cligga Head, Cornwall

The first recorded non-mining industrial activities at Cligga dates from 1893 with the opening of the "British and Colonial Explosives Company factory. The site was chosen both because it was close to a number of mines and because the steeply sloping ground made the site favourable for the production of explosives. British and Colonial was...

Read more ...

Clowance House, Crowan, Cornwall

Clowance House was owned for many years by the St Aubyn family. The St Aubyn family "collected" Cornish crosses and three stand within the grounds of Clowance House. Today the estate has been turned into a " time share village" Clowance House, Cornwall   Godolphin Mining Area

Read more ...

Kennal Vale Gunpowder Works, Cornwall

Kennal Vale gunpowder factory started production about 1812 and was immediately commercially sucessful. 1844 the factory expanded and by 1860 it was employing about 50 men. The invention of gelignite and dynamite in the 1880s made the closure of Kennall Vale gunpowder works difficult to operate profitably and it finally closed about 1914 The gunpowder...

Read more ...

Morwellham Quay Tavistock, Devon

In the 1860s Morwellham Quay was known as The Greatest Copper Port in Queen Victorias Empire! In 974 AD the Benedictine monks from Tavistock, just four miles away, constructed a quay at Morwellham on the Devon bank of the navigable Tamar River. They used it as a port for boats carrying goods down the Tamar...

Read more ...

New Quay, Devon

1831 The Tamar is navigable for vessels of one hundred and thirty tons up to New Quay, about twenty-four miles above Plymouth. Now an abandoned village, New Quay was built as an extension to Morwellham. The Quays still line the river with their ruined mine buildings. New Quay supplemented the Devon Great Consols copper ore...

Read more ...

Perran Foundry, Cornwall

Perran Foundry at Perranarworthal, Penrhyn, was started in 1791 by the Fox family of Falmouth. The original lease from the Bassets is still in existence, and the foundry has been dealt with by Mr. Tregonning Hooper in his paper to the Royal Cornwall Polytechnic Society (Proceedings R.C.P.S. Part III, 1939). Perran Foundry was owned and...

Read more ...

Porthledden House, St Just, Cornwall

Porthledden House, St Just, Cornwall In the early 20th century, Cape Cornwall was owned by Captain Francis Oates, who began his working life underground at the age of 12 in Balleswidden Mine. He was already a mine captain by the time he was 23 and a few years later went off to seek his fortune...

Read more ...

Westlake’s Rumleigh Brickworks, Devon

Rumleigh Brickworks were owned by Thomas Westlake & Company, Brick & Tile Makers. They had Brick & Fire Clay Works at Bealswood, near the Weir Head and at Calstock Town, and large Brick & Arsenic manufacturies at Rumleigh. They were very large employers of labour in the area. Their bricks were in large demand for...

Read more ...

School of Science and Art, Redruth

Prior to 1910 there were 3 mining schools in Cornwall, at Camborne, Penzance and Redruth. The School Of Metallipherous Mining was formed by the amalgamation of all the mining schools in the county of Cornwall, England, UK in 1910. It was decided to amalgamate these in 1910 into one school which would occupy the Camborne...

Read more ...

Tavistock Canal Tunnel

Tavistock had poor access by road to the coast, so a proposal was made to use the River Tavy out of Tavistock to the Lumburn Valley, then along an embankment over the valley and a tunnel through Morwell Down. From there an inclined plane would then take the canal down to Morwellham where it would...

Read more ...

Tuckingmill, Camborne, Cornwall

Roskear and Tuckingmill were medieval settlements, and the are records of mills in the valley of the Red River as early as the 13 th century. Tin streaming was practiced from the middle ages. Deep mining for copper was developed in the late 17 th century. By the early 19 th century various industrial and...

Read more ...

Weir Quay Smelter, Devon

The Tamar Smelting Works at Weirquay, in the parish of Bere Ferrers, Devon, is a surviving silver-lead smelter (1836, Tamar Smelting Company) at Weir Quay. Adjoining the eastern end of the smelter site is the Union Tin Smelter. This lead/silver smelter is on the Devon bank of the River Tamar, three kilometres north-west of Bere...

Read more ...