Carnmenellis Cornwall Mines

Carnmenellis District Mines

The parish of Carnmenellis was created by Act of Parliament, and was gazetted
on 9th January 1846. It was created from part of Wendron parish to meet the
requirements of increasing population.

The the parish is named after the Cornish for a rocky hill ‘Carn’ plus an unknown
word. The hill rises to an altitude of 822 feet. On its summit is a pile of
rocks, consisting of four flat thin stones; the upper one is circular, its diameter
being about 19 feet. The pile is encircled with a row of stones and a trench
about 36 feet in diameter. There are also two or three tumuli on the top of
this hill, in which Roman coins have been found.

Mines in the area include