This Luxulyan Area contains many early nineteenth-century industrial remains. They are in the main, the results of one mans work that of Joseph Treffry (1782 – 1850). One of the deepest, richest of the copper mines in Cornwall was Fowey Consols (1813-1868), which was worked by six steam engines and 17 waterwheels. Treffry linked his mine to his new port at Par in the late 1820s by the Par Canal.
A tramway then ran through the Luxulyan Valley, via an inclined plane and his magnificent viaduct. Treffry used the tramway to service both Fowey Consols and granite quarries in the valley. The tramway was later extended to a second new port at Newquay. The canal was eventually replaced by an extension of the tramway to Par. The tramway was in turn replaced by the Cornwall Minerals Railway in 1874.
The Luxulyan Valley is today a place of great natural beauty, with thickly wooded terrain and steep granite slopes surrounding the fast-flowing River Par.