During the mining boom, Hayle had two of the three largest mine engine foundries in the world (Harvey’s 1779-1903 and Copperhouse 1820-1869).
Eventually Harvey’s took over the Copperhouse in 1875. And as the mining slump kicked in, the engineering works and Foundry were finally closed in 1903 though the Harveys continued to trade as general and builders merchant, eventually merging with UBM to become Harvey-UBM in 1969.
Copperhouse Foundry and of Harvey’s have been mainly demolished, but much of the historic industrial town and port of Hayle is still largely intact.
Hayle was served by the Hayle to Portreath Railway which ran via Redruth and its mines.